Monday 1 July 2013

Light and Summer Fresh Pasta Salad

 
 

Sometimes I surprise myself and create something of my own - this is one of those things.  Some of the Facebook pages I follow have posted a lot of pasta salads -- it's hot - you don't want to cook and you want something light and flavourful.

I started with the big pasta shells - cooked and cooled.
I had a huge beautiful avocado on my counter, tomatoes, cucumbers and some lemons - that came with a cool spout that you just insert and then squeeze for fresh juice!

I seeded the tomato and used an English cucumber - if I had had a red pepper I would have put that in to for a little more crunch.

I had some fresh baby romaine lettuce and tossed it all together - it looked wonderful now I needed to create something yummy to dress it up.

hmmmm what do I have .... oh Mrs. Jones Jams I have......Roast Garlic Jelly and Pineapple Jam

Roast Garlic JellyPineapple Jam
 
so in a small bowl I scraped the last little bit on Pineapple Jam out - I maybe got a tablespoon - I could have used more!
I added about 1 tsp of  Roast Garlic Jelly
I squeezed almost the whole lemon for all the juice.
I then added some nice olive oil...
 
It still needed a little more punch!  Pixie Chicks Spices!!  Saigon Dreams!!  A perfect fit!
"This lemongrass, cilantro, citrus, brown sugar & red chili love boat will have you lazily drifting down the Saigon River in no time!
Say that fast three times." (from their website)
 
How I did it..... (aka recipe)
 
3 chopped and seeded roma tomatoes
1 large chopped avocado
1/2 English cucumber
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1 cup fresh romaine or spinach (tear to small pieces)
Dressing...
1 Tablespoon of Pineapple Jam ( I could have used 2 Tablespoons at least)
1 teaspoon Roasted Garlic Jelly
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Saigon Dreams
Juice from one lemon
 
 
My son and daughter-in-law showed up from camping and I had just finished making this -- I offered it to them - and it was a big hit!  Light and refreshing - perfect for the hot summer day we are having.
 
A nice switch from my go to pasta salad - especially when you have a wonderful avocado and some great local ingredients and products to use!
 
I hope you enjoy it  - and please check out the websites for them and follow them on Facebook!
 
Of course don't forget to check us out at SweetArt Supplies and on Facebook
 
Gwen
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment